Tuesday 25 March 2014

Review {Divergent}

WARNING~ Contains MANY spoilers!

I was given Divergent as a gift by my cling-cling Daisy, as I have mentioned before. I'd wanted it for a while mainly so she would shut up about getting me to read it, but wow. I loved it so much I might just cry.

Plot
Firstly, when I heard about the plot for Divergent before I read it, it almost put me off a bit. I thought it was a very similar plot to The Hunger Games but as soon as I read the first chapter I realized that judgment was so so so wrong!! The way that this place is split into the factions and how the factions are all linked is something that really intrigued me throughout the entire story (so far ;D) at some points I found it a bit confusing so I would suggest first time readers to read over that part very carefully; especially the part where the Erudite and Dauntless begin to work together.

Characters
I fell in love instantly with all the characters and their passion towards parts of the story in which they were involved. I found towards the beginning Tris was a bit moany but as I read on I kind of started to understand!
I thought Caleb was fab until he went to Erudite. Lil bitch.
Tobias was fab also and I swear I cried when he almost killed her.
Tris and Caleb's parents are the biggest badasses in the whole book.
Marcus was a wee bit of a wanker.
Jeanine was a bitch and I want her dead.

Writting
The writing itself was incredible. The way it was set out with all the long sentences without breaks for fast paced moments along with the mixture of short sentences is simple, but effective I can tell you!! The following may sound like an English lesson but it's something that genuinely interests me. The lingustic features and language techniques Veronica Roth uses to portray this wonderful and dramatic story of Tris is simple and very effective for readers. Her ranges of both short and long sentence types can build tension, set pace and intend extra information or plot twists and it is a very clever way of writing.

Basically, overall, I loved this book so much!! So much in fact that when I finished it in the school library, I closed the book, stood up, walked to the other end of the library and lied down and sobbed until my friend Frank came over to see if I was okay. I was not okay and I straight away started on Insurgent. 

Thank you for reading my first review, I don't quite know how to do an amazing review so I just did most of my thoughts crammed into small categories. Also while reading Insurgent, I am also FINALLY starting Paper Towns. The review will come when I'm finished and the first, now monthly instead of weekly, post will be coming on April 3rd.

Thank you for reading and I'll be back soon x3
Georgia x 

No comments:

Post a Comment